|Altrusa is an international, volunteer service organization of business and professional leaders, dedicated to improving communities world-wide through personal service. Members unite their varied talents in service to others, achieving as a group what individuals cannot do alone.
Altrusa International, Inc. was founded in 1917 in Nashville, Tennessee and has 446 clubs in 19 countries including Russia and the Ukraine. Its International Convention, held every other year, provides Altrusans with the opportunity to meet business and professional people from around the world to share in the decision-making process of Altrusa International, Inc.
The Tucson chapter of Altrusa international, Inc. was organized on March 22, 1939 and chartered on March 22, 1941. It was incorporated in May of 1971, and is a 501 (c)3 charitable organization through the Special Funds of Altrusa International, Inc. of Tucson. Although the Tucson chapter supports many different organizations and populations in the greater Tucson area, two key focus areas are literacy and children's issues.